Over The Rainbow

Hi everyone! It's actually been pretty warm today - around 18°C - so I freaked out and created a rainbow gradient complete with unicorns, because everybody knows that you can't have one without the other. As with the crocodile charm I used a couple of posts back, the unicorn is from Hex Nail Jewelry.

I didn't want to spend ages painting anything intricate or freehand, so I opted for a simple sideways gradient. To jazz it up a little I placed a few simple stripes over a white base with striping tape, alternating horizontally and vertically from nail to nail. 

 My preferred gradient method is to paint a base colour, then to paint lines onto a cosmetic sponge. To make the colours blend as smoothly as possible, I like to wipe most of the polish off both brushes, then to stipple across the line between the two colours to tone down the harshness of the line.


To create the gradient effect, I used Essie Meet Me At Sunset, OPI The 'It' Color, Revlon Electric, China Glaze Def Defying, Barry M Cyan Blue, Essie Butler Please and Rimmel Ultra Violet. I didn't realise until I had taken this picture, but a) I got a little slap-happy with clean-up and b) some of the lines had smudged. Bit annoying!


I tend to spend a pretty long time on manis since I like to paint when catching up on TV, so I'm pretty happy with how these turned out. These only took me half an hour to do, but whilst I'd love to say I went outside to enjoy the sunshine, I stayed in to work on a maths paper. Oh joy.

6 comments:

  1. I love these and the unicorn is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm pretty besotted with all of the Hex charms, but the unicorn is a definite favourite.

      Delete
  2. So cute! The unicorn is perffffff <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I might just have to make another order at Hex to pick up a couple more, they're adorable!

      Delete
  3. I love all your nail art, that unicorn is freaking cute! Want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm pretty in love with it myself!

      Delete