31DC2013: Day 1 - Red Nails

As somebody who isn't a fan of red polish in general, I rarely create any designs using the colour. I know, it's a classic and is supposed to look elegant, but I just don't get it at all. However, with the first prompt being red, I had to get to work inspiration-wise. The very first thing that popped into my head was 'roses are red, violets are blue', so I decided to follow it through.

Red nail polish can be a pain to remove, so I went with my favourite off-white OPI My Vampire Is Buff as a base on my accent nails, with Essie Da Bush everywhere else. The roses were freehanded on with my usual technique using China Glaze Adventure Red-y, Barry M Raspberry and Essie Leading Lady. I added a few leaves using China Glaze Holly-Day, then outlined everything with Barry M Black since it just wasn't popping enough, and I like having some kind of graphic element to a design. I had planned to leave the other nails plain, but since florals and stripes go hand in hand (in my eyes anyway), I added some striping tape and used OPI MVIB to pull it all together.


I actually really like how this design turned out, despite the forced inclusion of the dreaded red. Am I the only one with a phobia towards it as a colour, or is my hatred shared?

1 comment:

  1. I heard that red stains but I guess I don't wear it enough to really know. I do have a similar phobia with green polishes, though. I had the yellowest nails ever after wearing OPI Jade is the New Black, yikes. So that's a shade I'd have similar paranoia with! :3

    ReplyDelete