31DC2013: Day 2 - Orange Nails

Upon taking up the challenge for the third time, I decided that I want to think out of the box a little more, so this colour prompt made my crazy brain jump to Doritos / nachos / tortillas / whatever you want to call those triangular orange pieces of heaven. 

Pretty much every single time neon orange polish is referenced, it's likened to one of these chips-that-shall-not-be-named, so I thought to myself 'Aha! I can be crazily original and innovative by creating some commentary on this in the form of a nail design'. And so, I did just that.

I started off with a base of OPI The 'It' Color, then (you'll have to bear with me on this one) kinda splayed out a striper brush so that each individual hair / fibre acted akin to a dotting tool. I used Essie Meet Me At Sunset, Rimmel Beige Babe, Zoya Arizona, and China Glaze Orange You Hot? for the detail. 

I then layered another coat of OPI TIC over the top, and repeated that step a couple of times. On the accent nails, I painted some cheesy drips on using CG OYH? which in hindsight probably wasn't the best choice as I had to layer it pretty heavily, causing the lumpy looking nail on my ring finger.


Despite these from being so different from my usual style, I'm actually really digging this look. I almost want to redo that accent nail to make it less thick though. Almost. Laziness prevails this time.

4 comments:

  1. A cold? So not fun this time of year. I hope you feel better soon.

    These nails are awesome!!! They remind me of nacho cheese, the one that looks like it has salsa bits in it. Ok, I'm hungry now! :-p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently timing isn't my strong suit, but thank you on both counts! And you're right, they're making me crave nachos too!

      Delete
  2. Wow these really look like Doritos! You did such a good job with the execution, and choice of colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I wasn't so sure halfway through that this would work, but luckily I think it did in the end.

      Delete