31DC2013: Day 4 - Green Nails

Hi everyone! I'm not a huge fan of how these turned out, but I've been meaning to try out both the spun sugar and the fan brush techniques for a while. I'm not sure where either technique originated from, but I think I've successfully butchered them both! I figured they could both be used to create a camouflage effect, so I decided to give it a go for this prompt, since camouflage is typically green and all.

I started with a base of China Glaze I'm With The Lifeguard, then used the spun sugar technique using China Glaze Holly-Day, Revlon Sassy, and Essie Mojito Madness. I used the same polishes on the accent nails, but applied these using a fan brush. I used JustTisEms' tutorial for the spun sugar nails, and then improvised using the fan brush technique, which probably explains why it doesn't look so great!
 

I think if I ever gave this another go, I should make sure that I create thinner lines with the 'spun sugar'. I also applied topcoat out of habit, but with hindsight I would have kept the textured look. It required quite a bit of patience to do this, so I think it may be a while before I attempt the technique again!

2 comments:

  1. Aw I like the idea of this but I can definitely see your own criticisms for improvement. I am too scared of trying the spun sugar method because I'd probably make a HUGE mess! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the hesitation was all part of my problem here, although, I did find that covering my cuticles with cuticle oil did significantly reduce the amount of clean-up I had to do which is always great for someone as lazy as me!

      Delete