31DC2013: Day 10 - Gradient Nails

So far, we've been having a pretty disappointing summer; the last time I checked, summer means sun, but that's been sporadic at best. To make up for this, I decided to use the gradient prompt to paint some better weather! Understandably, I always associate heat with deserts, and deserts with cacti, so I got to work to create a desert-inspired scene.

Since a gradient was necessary to meet the criteria, I created a simple sky using China Glaze Kinetic Candy and Barry M Cyan Blue. Whilst I can never quite get my gradients to look perfectly blended, I find that the simplest way is to paint a stripe of each polish onto a cosmetic sponge, then lightly dab along the join with each polish to make the colours blend a little (that didn't make any sense). The desert itself was painted on with China Glaze Kalahari Kiss. I was originally going to leave the design with the cacti in the foreground (which are a mixture of Essie Da Bush, China Glaze Holly-Day, and Essie Mojito Madness), but I thought it could all do with a little depth, so I added some smaller cacti in the background with Holly-Day.


Halfway through this design, I was close to removing it, since it looked like a complete nail fail, but I'm really happy that I didn't, since I love how it turned out! I almost wish that I had added a wider variety of cacti, since I stuck with the stereotypical shape, but hindsight's 20-20.

6 comments:

  1. Man this was the perfect nail art to go over the gradient (which looks so well done from here). I love these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks so much! For once, it actually looks better in the pictures than it does on the nail.

      Delete