31DC2013: Day 17 - Glitter

I've always loved the way glitter placement manis looked, but always shied away from actually attempting one since the technique looks to be a fiddly, time-consuming one. I can now confirm, however, that all my previous thoughts were untrue; glitter placement is actually really fun and easy! I used a random pot of glitter that I found lurking at the back of my nail art supplies, but I'm currently eyeing up the different 'glequin' sets available at Born Pretty Store as a potential investment for future placement manis.

I started with a base of Barry M Black, then on all but my accent nail I added a coat of Different Dimension Orion Nebula. My crappy photography skills failed to capture how beautiful and shiny this actually looks, but this blend of different sizes of fuchsia circle glitters with large holographic dot glitters in a black jelly base really is something else. You could almost say it's out of this galaxy! Terrible puns are the best. I did find that it was a little difficult to get the larger glitters out, but this was hardly unexpected. I flipped my bottle upside down for half an hour or so, and that helped to redistribute the holo glitters so that fishing was unnecessary. I did place a couple of the dots, but they were readily available and all lay flat on my curved nails, which is always a plus!

On my accent finger, I used a small paintbrush and some clear topcoat to pick up individual glitters and place them on the nail whilst the second coat of black polish was still drying. Since it was my first time attempting glitter placement, I opted to cover the nail disco-ball-style instead of creating any patterns.



I'm not completely sure exactly how long placing the glitter took me, but it was somewhere in the region of 3-5 minutes, which is pretty freaking good if you ask me! My only quibble would that I had to use a couple of thick coats of Seche Vite to smooth it all out, but aside from that I'm really happy with the result!

2 comments:

  1. Your glitter placement looks so good! I still don't think I'd have the patience though, haha. Glad you whipped out Orion Nebula for this one - the glitters match perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think it seemed less painful to me since I was prepared to spend a whole lot more time on it than I actually did. I was planning on just doing a glitter gradient with Orion Nebula, but I found the other glitters and thought I might as well add those!

      Delete