31DC2013: Day 18 - Half Moons

Evening everyone! I'd actually scheduled this to post last Friday when I was at prom, but I was failed by the scheduling option and only just realised! Anyhow, I've had the half-formed idea of snail shell nails floating around in my crazy little brain for a while now, and when faced with this prompt I thought that I should finally carry it out.

This all started off when I decided I needed to freehand the Snail from Adventure Time onto my thumb. I'll admit the impulse was odd, but I'm incredibly happy with how it turned out - on my thumb at least! My attempt at a replication on my ring finger wasn't quite so great, but topcoats smear sometimes. C'est la vie. I believe I used Essie Blanc as the base, with China Glaze Kalahari Kiss and China Glaze Desert Sun for the body and shell respectively. I then went back and outlined it all with Barry M Black.


In all honesty, the shells are my least favourite part of this design but since the prompt was half moons I figured I couldn't change them up for anything else! OPI The 'It' Color, Barry M Cyan Blue, OPI My Vampire Is Buff, Essie Tart Deco, OPI You're Such A Budapest, and Essie Lilacism were all used for this.


Overall, I have pretty mixed feelings as to this design; some parts I absolutely adore, and others I despise. 

8 comments:

  1. So adorable! I hate snails, but I just love this mani! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm definitely not a big fan of snails either, but I can get behind cute cartoon versions of pretty much anything!

      Delete
  2. I am obsessed! Snail shell half moons, how awesome and cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The execution wasn't the sharpest, but I'm pretty happy with the design idea

      Delete
  3. Hehe, I was reminded of Marcel the Shell with Shoes on for some reason. I love the snail's little wave. So cute.

    ReplyDelete