31DC2013: Day 24 - Inspired by a Book

Ever since I've been on study leave, I've had time to catch up on all the reading that I missed out on during exams, and the Sherlock Holmes series by Arthur Conan Doyle was at the top of my list. Today I can finally say that I've finished reading all sixty of them, which coincides perfectly with today's prompt! 



As well as being a big fan of the books, the BBC Sherlock tv series is a favourite of mine so I took inspiration from the (somewhat iconic) wallpaper of 221B Baker Street in the show. For reference, here it is:

Image source
To recreate the baroque pattern, I started with a base of Essie Blanc, then used Sinful Colors Black On Black and a tiny cut-down detail brush to freehand on the design. On my accent nail, I added a smiley face with Revlon Electric. Whilst this would definitely look neater if it was stamped, I'm really happy with the improvement in my detailing skills!


Even though this design takes more inspiration from the show than the books, I'm pretty pleased with how this turned out. I did have a lot of problems trying to take pictures of this though; black and white designs always freak out the white balance on my camera, so I had to take these pictures three times before I could take ones which I was happy with, hence the change of scenery here!

2 comments: