31DC2013: Day 27 - Inspired by Artwork

Three designs inspired by various artists were trialed out for today's prompt before I finally settled on a print by Laura Redburn (aka cardboardcities) aptly named keep hydrated. Since it's very appropriate for the heatwave (by which I mean slight increase in temperature) that's currently sweeping the nation, I recreated my two favourite elements of the pattern!



Image source
I did initially try out a more literal interpretation of the pattern; I used a crisp white creme as the base and included all the additional detailing, but instead of looking as pretty as it does in the print, everything became too cluttered. I made the executive decision to scrap that design, and ended up something I like to call 'keep hydrated 2.0'. 

This time around, OPI Don't Touch My Tutu! is the base, and Illamasqua Caress makes up the water droplets. The pink flesh of the watermelon is a combination of Revlon Cherries In The Snow, Sinful Colors Easy Going, and Essie Blanc. The rind is a mixture of Essie Mojito Madness and Essie Blanc.


I'm not sure that my interpretation (even the second time around) does justice to the original print, but it's still a pretty cute design for summer! Looking at my pictures now, a second coat of topcoat would have smoothed the design out more, but since DTMT! took four coats to build up to the opacity I wanted it to, one more coat would probably have been the straw that broke the camel's back!

4 comments:

  1. This is so squishy! (Love Don't Touch My Tutu!) The watermelons are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jelly bases are definitely the best bases! Thank you!

      Delete